To download install Homebrew run the install script on the command line as below and let the script do its thing:
/usr/bin/ruby -e "$(curl -fsSL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Homebrew/install/master/install)"
If you don’t have Apples Xcode command line tools installed it will be installed for you.
Then Homebrew is installed.
- After this Homebrew is installed and ready to install other apps.
- To get started run
- brew help
- To check for any issues with the install run:
- brew doctor
- One issue that typically comes up is an outdated or missing version of XQuartz.
- To search for an application:
- brew search
- To install
- brew install <application-name>
- To list all apps installed by Homebrew
- brew list
- To remove an installed application
- brew remove <application-name>
- To update Homebrew
- brew update
- To see what else you can do
- man brew
- Where does Homebrew install stuff …. in the Cellar
- Where the brew lives.
- You can see your Homebrew configuration by running
- brew config
Output should be similar to …
admins-iMac:~ admin$ brew config HOMEBREW_VERSION: 1.3.4 ORIGIN: https://github.com/Homebrew/brew HEAD: ac8b58537fe3dd71098a43afcc6a1785dcde1d39 Last commit: 9 days ago Core tap ORIGIN: https://github.com/Homebrew/homebrew-core Core tap HEAD: bd5f07a5efd7cdd5c433bc0f74d72fdd51e4f91a Core tap last commit: 51 minutes ago HOMEBREW_PREFIX: /usr/local HOMEBREW_REPOSITORY: /usr/local/Homebrew HOMEBREW_CELLAR: /usr/local/Cellar HOMEBREW_BOTTLE_DOMAIN: https://homebrew.bintray.com CPU: quad-core 64-bit sandybridge Homebrew Ruby: 2.3.3 => /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/2.3/usr/bin/ruby Clang: 9.0 build 900 Git: 2.13.5 => /Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/usr/bin/git Perl: /usr/bin/perl Python: /usr/bin/python Ruby: /usr/bin/ruby => /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/2.3/usr/bin/ruby Java: N/A macOS: 10.13-x86_64 Xcode: 7.2.1 => /Volumes/Macintosh HD/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer CLT: 126.96.36.199.1.1504363082 X11: N/A
All installations via Homebrew are filed independently in the filing system in /usr/local/Cellar and linked into /usr/local/bin which is a directory which allows you to run these commands and apps as if part of the regular operating system.
This directory is also out of the SIP bounds so there should be no authentication macOS error dialog boxes.
HomeBrew is a great package manager just start installing some apps and explore.!